top of page

College Access Resources for:

DREAMers, DACA, & unaccompanied youth

Explore the resources below if you do not have a permanent resident status or visa but would still like to pursue college or a trade school. 

Don’t assume you can’t get financial aid just because you’re not a U.S. Citizen.


Take a look at some of the resources below!

The Texas Application for State Financial AID


Free Application for Federal Student Aid 


The Texas Dream Act of 2001 

Project Canvas

The Texas Application for State Financial AID (TASFA)

Students who are classified as a Texas Resident who cannot apply for federal financial aid are encouraged to complete the TASFA. Applicants usually include students who are non-citizens or non-permanent residents. Before you begin, contact the institution you plan to attend to verify your eligibility. 


You can only fill out the TASFA or the FAFSA, you do not fill out both. 

To learn more or to verify eligibility:

Visit: TASFA

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

A free resource to determine your eligibility for federal grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study opportunities; you must reapply every year you are in school. The application opens in October, and it is encouraged you apply as early as you can!

Eligibility Requirements:

​• Financial need

• A U.S. Citizen or eligible noncitizen

• A valid Social Security number

• Enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program

• Maintain satisfactory academic progress

• Explore all the eligibility requirements here 

How do you fill out the FAFSA if your parents are undocumented immigrants?

The process is the same as if your parents were citizens or permanent residents. You’ll still include their financial information in the application, which your school’s financial aid office will use to determine your aid eligibility.

The difference is that instead of providing a Social Security number (SSN) for your parents, you’ll write

000-00-0000. Also, because your parents don’t have SSNs, they can’t create a Federal Student Aid ID to sign the application electronically, so you’ll need to print it out and have them sign it by hand. Mail in the signed document, and you can monitor if it has been received online.


Once received, you should receive an email alerting you that your FAFSA is being processed. It can take up to two weeks after being received for this process to be complete.


You can only fill out the TASFA or the FAFSA, you do not fill out both. 

To learn more or to access application:

Visit: FAFSA 


The Texas Dream Act of 2001

Provides in-state tuition at Texas colleges and universities for undocumented students if they meet certain requirements:

​• Graduated from a Texas high school or earned a high school equivalency diploma (GED) in Texas.

• Lived in Texas for three years before enrolling in a Texas higher education institution.

• Signed an affidavit (sworn statement) saying that they will seek legal residency as soon as possible.


Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities

The Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities, founded in 1986, represents more than 500 colleges and universities in the United States, Latin America, Spain, and school districts throughout the U.S.

Hispanic Scholarship Fund

HSF empowers students and parents with the knowledge and resources to successfully complete a higher education, while providing support services and scholarships to as many as possible.

HOLA at Microsoft Scholarship

Supporting the growth of Hispanic and Latinx communities and encouraging the pursuit of a tech career. Must be a permanent legal resident, citizen, or granted DACA.



League of United Latin American Citizens 

The LULAC National Scholarship Fund (LNSF) was established in 1975 to provide scholarships to Hispanic students attending colleges and universities.

Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund

MALDEF is the nation’s leading Latino legal civil rights organization. They provide an extensive list of scholarships, including many that do not inquire about immigration status or require a valid social security number.

Point Foundation – The LGBTQ Scholarship Fund 

The Point Foundation Flagship Scholarship empowers LGBTQ students who are earning their undergraduate, graduate, & doctoral degrees at accredited colleges in the United States 

The Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund

Provides financial support for students who are active and emerging organizers in progressive movements for liberation, self-determination and social and economic justice in their communities. Citizenship is not a requirement.


TheDream.US scholarships are for highly motivated undocumented students who want to get a college education but are unable to afford the cost.

The Que Llueva Café Scholarship

This scholarship aims to support the dreams, hopes, and aspirations of college bound undocumented students so that they can earn their college education and allow for all their hard work and sacrifice to persevere. 

Additional Resources

Explore the resources below if you do not have a permanent resident status or visa but would still like to pursue college or a trade school. 

Know Your Rights

Available in 8 languages, this resource provides practical tips for things immigrant families can do now to prepare as well as information on rights everyone has in the United States, regardless of immigration status.

United We Dream – Undocumented Student Guidebook 

United We Dream is the largest immigrant youth-led network in the country and has created this guide for undocumented and differently-documented college students and their families to inform them of where they can seek assistance and how they can fight for themselves on-campus.

U.S. Department of Justice – Executive Office for Immigration Review

This is a list of all Texas pro bono legal providers (free to those unable to afford) that provide service on immigration cases.

bottom of page